This impressive museum, located in the beautiful Pollock Country Park, is named after its donor Sir William Burrell (1861-1958) who was a successful shipping agent in Glasgow. Upon the early death of his father, William and his elder brother George took over management of the family firm, Burrell & Son. From this moment onwards, the company enjoyed rapid success and international growth.
In 1918 the brothers decided to sell off almost the entire Burrell shipping fleet and William devoted the rest of his days to accumulating the majority of his impressive art collection.
In order for the museum to be able to display a greater number of its 9,000 objects in the present day, largely collected by Sir William Burrell, they plan to modernise the historic A-Listed building. It is imperative the renovation is sympathetically completed, so the ambitious development will take a further three years before it is once again open to visitors.